ArtistScope Portable Media : Offline vs Online DRM

You cannot post Forum | Search |  Register | Login

Kendo

Group : Authors

Posted On: 2017-04-20 at 16:15

So from what I understand, APM would still allow me offline DRM to initially set an expiry timeline, and prevent screen capture and unauthorized access while using CopySafe PDF?

With APM tokens for offline use, I may only not be able to "change" DRM permissions once the content is delivered?

Kindly suggest a way through which we can auto generate passwords?

Is there a process through which we can "sync" these passwords with the PDF DRM service provided by ArtistScope?

Support

Group : Admin

Posted On: 2017-04-20 at 16:19

Kendo Wrote:
So from what I understand, APM would still allow me offline DRM to initially set an expiry timeline, and prevent screen capture and unauthorized access while using CopySafe PDF?

APM does not provide protection from copy, save, PrintScreen or screen recording on its own. However APM does provide the means to package media so that DRM can be applied while viewed offline.

Copysafe PDF and Copysafe Web provide the copy protection.

Most authors, online courses and colleges, use and prefer the online DRM provided by Copysafe PDF. A recent survey of those authors told us that very few were interested or needed offline DRM. Of those none are using it. The only client that does use offline DRM is one author who purchased from us the full DRM portal package for installation on his own server. That author caters for correspondence courses for marine merchants who are at sea for long periods of time.

Kendo Wrote:
With APM tokens for offline use, I may only not be able to "change" DRM permissions once the content is delivered?

With APM tokens for offline use, once the user has the APM document and a token, nothing can be changed that will affect their viewing rights.

It is not about whether the student is online or offline. If they have a token for offline use, then being online does not change the value of the token they already have.

Kendo Wrote:
Kindly suggest a way through which we can auto generate passwords?

When adding new users either manually or automated from online sales, you have the option of:
- nominating the password
- create a random password
- or use "changeme" and encourage them to change their password when they first log in.

Kendo Wrote:
Is there a process through which we can "sync" these passwords with the PDF DRM service provided by ArtistScope?

With our DRM, passwords are not important for accessing protected media except for the very first time that they use any one of your protected documents. When the user opens that first document, their Computer ID (based on an algorithm of their hardware and hard drive serial number) will not yet be registered in your DRM userbase. So the DRM server will request proof of identity and the user then submits their username (unique email address) and their password for the DRM server to record their Computer ID.

Once a user's Computer ID is recorded, they never have to use a password again for any of your documents, and no-one else can ever use the same login from their (a different) computer. Passwords can be shared but our DRM cannot be shared and it cannot be exploited.

With our DRM, because it is live and monitored, you have total control with immediate effect over any changes. With expiration, you can not only expire by calendar date (which cannot be exploited by changing computer date), but you can also expire by number of days/hours from first use of that document. Now that is much more useful than calendar expiration because expiring in 90 days from first use means that you don't have to keep changing the user's or document expiry ever. Whereas expiring in 3 months from now can be useless in 3 months time.

With online DRM you can also control limits for number of prints and views of the document.

facebook
twitter
email