2nd February 2013
New DRM Features to Cater For All Document Protection Scenarios
February 2, 2013 – This most recent release of ArtistScope DRM introduces new features to
all parts of the DRM service including server-side features, document conversion
software and the CopySafe PDF Reader.
The most important and no doubt the most sought after new feature is the display of CopySafe PDF documents from web pages. Encrypted and copy-protected PDF can now be displayed from any web page and be viewed in all popular Windows web browsers. At this point in time, the desktop software for document conversion for online display is yet to be released, but the server side version has been in operation since Christmas for services in Dubai, India, Nigeria and Australia.
Web page display of secure PDF has long been sought after. This new version was especially developed to cater to the requirements of a new online library opening in Nigeria on March 1st. The ReasearchClass site employed ArtistScope to push technology and provide online reading billable by time using clever algorithms. This caters to multiple readers but only bills the active window.
New Features for CopySafe PDF Reader version 3.0
As the latest reader uses totally different encryption algorithms than previous versions, any documents created by the new Protector software will require the new reader even though it is compatible with all previously published documents.
- Added support for Windows 8 (now supports all Windows since XP... 92% of net
- Email attachments as .ENC files can now be opened from most email clients.
- Added toolbar and message translations for many new languages.
- New computer signature identification eliminates the chance of duplicate
- Plugin support for web browsers to read protected PDF online from any web
New Features for Authors Publishing DRM Protected Documents & eBooks
The inclusion of web browser support for reading protected PDF online is a major
innovation as no other "protect PDF" solution provides this support, that is,
without using Adobe Reader files which are nowhere near as secure as CopySafe
- Bulk addition for new users from CSV file (requires admin privileges).
- White-lists for non-group users can be applied per group or per individual
- Two-column selection for easier management of white-list users.
- Admin and authors are white-listed for access to all documents managed by
- Computers assigned to an account can now be extended for up to 3 computers.
- Users can now list all documents assigned to them, regardless of group or
- New option for "PrintAnywhere" enables all printers including network and
- New option for "AllowCapture" enables use of Print Screen and screen
- New web browser plugin enables display of protected PDF from web pages.
- Domain-lock PDF so that it can only be viewed from your website.
New Web Browser Plugin for Reading Protected PDF Online
Plugin support is now available for all popular web browsers and it is
automatically installed with the CopySafe PDF Reader version 3.0. The new
CopySafe PDF Protector, both server and desktop versions, have the ability to
encrypt and convert PDF for use for both online and offline distribution.
However, the same files cannot be used for both online and offline reading as
they are each specially designed for those different purposes.
One notable difference is that they use different file names so that authors can
distinguish which is which. But the main functional difference is that while
offline documents distributed as .ENC files can be DRM controlled, the protected
PDF for online viewing are not controlled by DRM. Instead, they are controlled by
the web page that displays them. That way, user access can be managed and
controlled by already existent CMS solutions that web authors may already have
in place. For example, WordPress webmasters will find that there is a
available that is specially designed for adding CopySafe PDF documents to their
web pages and posts.
Different properties applied to web browser viewing:
The Most Secure Method For Viewing Protected PDF Online
- Set the width and height for reader area to be displayed on the page.
- Enable the use of Print Screen and screen capture per page.
- Hard code the print limit per visit or set a variable limit based on count
- Enable the use of all printers including virtual devices per page.
- Enable the use of remote view applications or virtual computers per page.
- Nominate the background color used in non-page areas.
- Nominate the language to be used in the toolbar and reader messages.
The CopySafe PDF approach to displaying PDF online is a no-nonsense solution
that has all possible avenues for exploit covered. For example:
There is no doubt about it... CopySafe PDF is not only the most secure document
solution, but it is also the most versatile!
- CopySafe PDF displayed online can only be viewed using the CopySafe PDF
- While on display, CopySafe PDF contents cannot be copied or saved in any
- CopySafe PDF read online cannot be retrieved from the web browser cache.
- Even if downloaded by viewing source, the file cannot be displayed on any
Click for more information about
CopySafe PDF Protection software.
Click for more information about DRM
control for PDF.
Back to Press Releases